Archive of ‘Appetizer & Salad’ category
This is the perfect summer salad! Nothing says summer more than some fresh fruit like watermelon. This salad is light and refreshing. The coolness of the watermelon blended well with the consistency of the mozzarella. The chopped almonds also gave the salad a nice extra crunch. I got the idea for this recipe when I saw The Forest Feast‘s watermelon salad. I changed the recipe slightly because I prefer spinach to to basil mint.
One thing I loved about this recipe is that after cutting an inch ring of the smallest watermelon I could find at the store, I cut up the leftover watermelon to use throughout the week on different recipes. I’ll most likely make a watermelon popsicle, blend it in a morning shake and just eat it as a snack. The best way to cook when you are cooking just for one is to find different ways to use the food you buy during the week.
1 Small Watermelon
1/2 Cup of Spinach
3 Thin Slice of Mozzarella
Handful of Almonds
1. Cut an inch ring of watermelon. Cut around the watermelon and remove the rind, leaving a one inch circular piece of watermelon.
2. Place the round piece of watermelon onto a plate.
3. Top the watermelon with 4 thin slices of mozzarella and your spinach. If you want to get a little fancy, you can chop of some of your spinach into fine pieces to sprinkle on top.
4. Chop your almonds into small pieces and add on top.
5. Before serving you can add a little olive oil and sea salt. Enjoy!