What better way to kick off the long Labor Day weekend than some All American Pie. After drooling over Breville’s Personal Pie Maker, I finally brought it over to my sister’s house to try it out. It’s the perfect way to kick off the Labor Day weekend. This is a quick and easy way to make pies at a smaller serving and four different types of pie if you wanted Enjoy!
2 packages ready made, pie dough (I would use 1 package of pie dough and 1 package of puffed pastry for the tops, but the store was out of puffed pastry).
2 Tablespoons of Flour
1/2 Tsp of Lemon Zest
1 Tablespoon of Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
1 1/3 cups mixed berries (I used blueberries and raspberries), thawed
3 Tablespoons of Sugar
2/3 cup fresh berries (I used blueberries and raspberries)
Vanilla Ice Cream and extra berries for garnish
1. Plug in your pie maker.
2. In a small sauce pan, combine your thawed berries, flour, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and stir. Cook over low heat stirring occasionally. I would cook for about 6 minutes until the filling gets a little thickness to it. Take it off heat and put to the side.
3. Flour a surface and unroll and layout premade pie dough. Your pie makers come with cutters for the bottom of the pie and the top of your pie. Again, I wish I had puff pastry for the top part of the pie, but I went with what was available. Cut out 4 bottoms and 4 tops.
4. Press the pie dough into the bottom of each pie cup on your pie maker using the pastry press that comes with the machine.
5. Fill each pie with 1/3 cup of pie filling that you made. Add a handful of fresh berries on top.
6. Put your pie tops over the pies and close machine.
7. Close lid for about 5-7 minutes to cook. Check at the 5 minutes mark to see if the tops are golden brown. If not, close lid and continue to cook until golden brown.
8. Remove pies and allow time to cool. Pair with ice cream and fresh berries and enjoy!
You ever have a craving for cupcakes (I do, everyday), but you don’t bake some because you know you’ll eat all 24 cupcakes by yourself (no, just me?)–then this is the recipe for you! I saw this recipe on HowSweetItIs.com and had to try it. This will make only two cupcakes which will satisfy your sugar craving without the guilt!
1 egg white
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon of vanilla (I’m not exaggerating when I say this is truly a Vanilla Cupcake!)
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
A Pinch of Salt
1 1/2 table spoon of Milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix egg white and sugar together
3. Add in vanilla and melted butter
4. Add Flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Lastly, stir in milk.
6. Pour evenly between two cupcake liners.
7. Bake for about 10-13 minutes and frost as desired after the cupcakes have cooled.
8. I also added a little fruit to the top to give it a bit of color!
I’m pretty proud of this post because this is my first attempt of making a cake with frosting completely from scratch. I’ve always used cake mix from a box (gasp) and never really tried to bake. This definitely isn’t a recipe for one, but who wants to eat dessert alone all the time? So invite your friends over (especially if your friends have more cake baking experience than you), eat and be merry!
1/2 cup of Hershey’s Cocoa
1/2 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup shortening
2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 3/4 cup of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/3 cups of buttermilk
Two 9 inch pans or three 8 inch pans
1. In a bowl, stir in your boiling water with your cocoa until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add the eggs and beat.
3. Combine buttermilk, flour, baking soda and salt into creamed mixture alternately. Blend in the cocoa mixture.
4. Grease and flour your 9 inch pans. This can me done by coating your pan with shortening and adding a little flour to the pan and spread evenly. Make sure you cover the bottom and the sides of the pans to avoid the cake from sticking.
5. Pour mixture into pans and bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Be sure to check your cake with a toothpick at the 20 minute mark just in case your oven runs a little hotter to avoid overcooking.
6. Remove from the oven and let it sit fro 10 minutes before removing it from the pan to finish cooling before frosting.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients (2 cups of Frosting):
2 2/3 cups of Confectionery Sugar
1/4 tablespoons of Hershey’s Cocoa (If you want more chocolate flavor, you can add up to 3/4 cup of cocoa)
6 Tablespoons of butter or margarine, softened
4-5 Tablespoons of Milk
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla
1. Combine sugar and cocoa.
2. Add butter, milk and vanilla. Beat until desired consistency.
(For a glossier texture, add 1 tablespoon of light corn syrup)
3. Frost your cake and eat with ice cream! Enjoy!
I don’t attempt making desserts very much. The last time I baked was two dozen snickerdoodles on a Friday off. Being that I live alone and saw only one friend that weekend, I ate a dozen of the cookies on my own. This recipe is perfect way to make sure that doesn’t happen again. Although, it’s so easy to make that it wouldn’t be hard to make a second serving if you wanted to (uh oh). The Single Serving Deep Dish Cookie is delicious and I would even dare say it can be just as delicious as BJ’s Pizookie. There are no eggs in the recipe so if you want your cookie a little more gooey and undercooked–go for it! It’s my favorite way to eat it.
2 tbsp of unsalted butter
1 tbsp of brown sugar
1 tbsp of sugar
1/8 tsp of vanilla extract
1/8 baking powder
1/4 cup of flour
Your favorite chocolate chips
Melt the butter in the microwave. Add in the brown sugar, sugar and vanilla extract. Make sure you stir it well. Next, mix in the baking powder and flour and pour into a small microwavable bowl. Spread out and add chocolate chips on top. Next you can either bake it in the oven or use the microwave. Depending on how cooked you want your cookie to be, you can cook it in the microwave from 40 seconds to a minute. If you want to use the oven, you can bake it for about 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Lastly, top it with some vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Enjoy!